The following stat blocks were the result of an on-again off-again Planescape campaign I’ve been running in some form or another for about five years now. The various Lower Planes have always been interesting to me, the eternal battleground of war between the forces of pure evil, one seeking to control and dominate the universe, the other seeking to destroy it utterly. What incredible potential in that conflict! Not to mention I have always found the hierarchical society of the Devils to be fascinating, I mean look at this table of ranks;
Even though the Blood War is much maligned, I have always thought it to be an incredibly interesting part of Planescape, and the setting wouldn’t be complete without it, even if I personally tweaked the Blood War and its combatants for my own campaign, more of that in a future post. Needless to say, my Planescape campaign has always featured a bevy of devilish and demonic enemies (and sort-of friends). I ran into an issue though when I transitioned the game from D&D 5e to Dungeon Crawl Classics. I no longer had access to 5th editions demons and devils, and since DCC is not a direct clone of AD&D, I was not able to just use the original stat-blocks from the Planescape era, although I did try, which brought the session to a screeching halt.
So what I’ve done here is re-create all the various devils and demons of the Planescape setting using the demon creation rules from Dungeon Crawl Classics. To aid me in this endeavor I picked up PDF’s of all the various Planescape monstrous appendices to utilize as guides, there has been some simplification and compression, but overall I believe that I successfully captured the feel and concept of each of these hellish creatures. Although of course that is for to decide! And I hope all you fellow Gamemasters will get some use out of these statblocks.
On a final note, I do not use the terms Tanarii and Baatezu, as I find them incredibly silly. I prefer Demons and Devils, even if it is not as accurate to the Planescape source material. Let us all be fortunate we no longer have to hide behind goofy pseudonyms in order to include the legions of the damned in our fantasy adventure games.
Planar Crawl Classics: Devils
Devils are Lawful beings who inhabit the lawful-evil plane of Hell. Devilish society is oriented entirely around dominating the universe, and they live in a strict hierarchy, with a defined path of promotion.
Devils by Type
Type 1: Nupperibo, Lemure, Spinagon (Spiny Devil)
Type 2: Abishai (Scaly Devil), Barbazu (Bearded Devil), Kochrachon
Type 3: Erinyes, Osyluth (Bone Devil), Hamatula (Barbed Devil)
Type 4: Cornugon (Horned Devil), Aminzu, Gelugon (Ice Devil)
Type 5: Pit Fiend
- Devil Traits: All devils may cast Charm Person, Cantrip, Planar Gate, Phantasm, and Animate Dead (CL as Type # unless otherwise stated). Type 1 and 2 Devils take full damage from normal weapons. Type 3 Devils take only half damage from normal weapons, but full damage from silvered weapons. Type 4 Devils take no damage from normal weapons, full damage from magical weapons, and half damage from silvered weapons. Type 5 Devils require +2 Weapons in order to be harmed. All Devils take half damage from damage caused by cold and gas. All Devils are immune to damage caused by fire and poison (unless it is poison from a demon!).
- Pyromancer: Pyromancers can cast Flaming Hands, Scorching Ray, Fireball, and Control Flame at the listed caster level with a casting die of 1d24, or +2 if the casting die is already at 1d30.
- Gate: Creatures with this power may use their action to attempt to create an inter-planar gate to bring reinforcements to the fight. When a creature attempts to create a Gate, roll 1d6. On an even roll, the gate opens successfully, and the amount of listed devils will arrive in 1d3 rounds. On an odd roll the gate does not open, but the gate can be attempted again in subsequent rounds. On a roll of 1, the planar energies are not conducive to the opening of gates, and the devil may not attempt another gate roll for this encounter. On a roll of 6, the reinforcements were ready and eager to enter the fight! Arriving during the same round the gate is opened.
- Truesight: True sight allows a creature to see perfectly in mundane darkness and magical darkness. Creatures with truesight can also see perfectly through illusions, glamorous and invisibility within their truesight radius.
- Random Spells as Level X Wizard: This creature uses the Wizard class table (1-12 in the Core Rulebook). To determine how many spells they have. The spells themselves can be determined using the random spells tables (Table 5-8 in the Core Rulebook).
Type 1 Devils
- Nupperibo (Type 1 Devil): Init +0; Atk +2 Bash (1d4); Atk +2 As Weapon (varies); AC 11; GD 1d12+1; SP Devil Traits; Mv 20; Act 1d20; SV Fort +4, Ref -2, Will -1
- Lemure (Type 1 Devil): Init +1; Atk +3 Bash (1d4); AC 13; HD 2d12; MV 20’ or 40’ rush; Act 1d20; SP Devil Traits, Lemure Regenerate 1 HP per round, Lemure Rush; SV Fort +3, Ref -1 Will +1
- Spinagon (Type 1 Devil): Init +2; Atk +4 Talons (1d4), Atk +4 Flame Spikes 30’ (1d4, Fire), Atck +4 As Weapon (varies); AC 16: HD 3d12+1; MV 20’, Flight 40’; Act 1d20; SP Devil Traits, Gate Spinagons (1d3); Wild Flail; Cast Choking Cloud (CL1); SV Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2.
- Lemure Rush: When under command of a type 2 or above devil, a wedge of at least 100 lemures may charge the enemy in a wedge, gaining +2 to hit and +2 to damage. Will save DC 11 each round to maintain the rush without their leader.
- Wild Flail: Once per round a spinagon may take a hit from its opponent to automatically flail itself madly onto a target. Striking him with 1d4 spikes dealing 1d4 damage each.
Type 2 Devils
- Abishai (Type 2 Devil): Init +4; Atk +6 Flurry of Claws (2d6), +6 Tail Strike (1d4+2, Poison); AC 15; HD 4d12+1; MV 30’, Flight 30’; Act 1d20+1d14; SP Devil Traits, Cast Cantrip (CL2). Cast Flaming Hands (CL2), Abishai Color; Gate Lemures (2d6), Gate Abishai (1d3), Abishai Poison; SV Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +4.
- Barbazu (Type 2 Devil): Init +6; Atk +9 Barbed Glaive (2d6+Bleed), +8 Claws (2d4), +8 Beard Strike (1d8 + disease); AC 17; HD 6d12+4; MC 30’; Act 2d20; SP, Devil Traits, Battle Frenzy, Devilish Disease, Bleeding Weapon; Gate Abishai (2d6); SV Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +8
- Kocrachon (Type 2 Devil): Init +2; Atk +7 Flurry of Claws (2d6), Scapels +7 (1d8 weak arms); AC 18 (20 in Shell); HD 6d12: MV 25’ Flight 25’; ACT 2d20; SP Devil Traits, Shell Cause Pain, Cause Disease, Expert Torturer; SV Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +8.
- Abishai Color: Abishai are either black, green or red. With each color giving unique effects
- Black: Black Poison, DC 12. Pass, No effect. Fail, 1d6 damage and 2d4 Strength Points
- Green: +1 HD, +1 to Atk, +1 AC. Green Poison, DC 14. Pass, 1d4 Agility Points. Fail, 1d8 Damage and 2d4 Agility Points.
- Red: +2 HD, +1 to hitm +2 AC. Red Poison, DC 12. Pass, 1d4 Strength Points. Fail, Death.
- Battle Frenzy: May go berserk if at least one other Barbazu is within 30’. Gain +2 to hit and damage, -3 AC, and will never fail a morale roll.
- Devilish Disease: Beard inflicts random disease. On a successful hit with beard, roll 1d4, on a 4, target makes a DC 15 Fort save or contracts a random disease.
- Bleeding Weapon: When hit with glaive, target must make a DC 13 Fort Save or take 1 damage per round per failed save. This bleeding can be healed with bandages and a skill roll, or by magical healing.
- Cause Pain: On a critical hit, Kocrachon inflict a horrible pain. Target must make a DC 19 Will save or take -4 to all rolls until Korachon is dead, the Korachon ends the effect, or magical healing is applied.
- Expert Torturer: Korachons make torturing skill rolls at 1d24+4.
- Cause Disease: Korachons may inflict a wasting disease that causes one point to be drained from each of the physical stats every day until death. A DC 15 Fort save may delay the wasting for a day. They inflict the disease by making 3 uninterrupted attacks against the same creature, who then must make a DC 16 Fort save or become infected. Korachons may also Lay on Hands as a Level 2 LE cleric.
- Abishai Color: Abishai are either black, green or red. With each color giving unique effects
Type 3 Devils
- Erinyes (Type 3 Devil): Init +6; Atk +10 As Weapon (Varies), Atk +10 Rope of Entanglement 30’ (Special); AC 18; HD 7d12+3; MV 30’, Flight 60’; Act 2d20; SP Devil Traits, Cast Charm Person (CL3), Cast Invisibility (CL3). Spells as Level 3-5 Wizard, Gate Spinagons (1d8), Gate Barbazu (1d4), Random magical item; SV Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +10.
- Osyluth (Type 3 Devil): Init +6; Atk +10 Bone Stinger (3d4+Poison) Atk +9 Claws (2d4) Atk +8 Bite (1d8+Curse); AC 17; HD 6d12+1; Act 2d20; SP Devil Traits, Cast Cause Fear (CL3), Cast Manipulate Force (CL3), Cast Invisibility (CL3), Gate Nupperibo (1d100), Gate Osyluth (1d2), Banish Devil; SV Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +10.
- Hamatula (Type 3 Devil): Init +5; Atk +11 Bite (3d6), Raking Claws (2d4), Hug (Special); 40’; Ac 19; HD 8d12+2; Act 2d20; SP Devil Traits, Radiate Fear, Pyromancer (CL4), Gate Abishai (2d6), Hug, Gate Hamatula (1d4); SV Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10
- Rope of Entanglement: On a successful hit with this weapon, the target must make a DC 15 Reflex Save or become magically entangled, unable to move or attack. Each round a creature is entangled their Strength and Stamina is drained by 1d4 points until unconsciousness. Each round a character can attempt to break out of the entanglement with a DC 20 Fortitude Save. Entangled creatures are helpless, and can only be freed when the attacking Erinyes is dead, wills for the rope to disentangle them, or another intelligent creature gets ahold of the rope and ends the disentanglement.
- Banish Devil: Bone Devils may use an action to automatically banish any devil (except Pit Fiends) to the Pit of Flame in the depths of Hell for between 1 day and 1,000 years. Their actions are occasionally reviewed by the Pit Fiends, who may also approve longer appointments.
- Radiate Fear: Hamatula are imposing and frightening. A DC 20 Will save is required to approach the devil. And those who fail the save will either stay in place quaking with fear or flee.
- Hug: On a successful hit, the Hamatula wraps its huge, gangly arms around a target and begins to crush the life out of it. Each round the Hamatula may automatically deal 1d8 damage to its hugged target, and may have up to two targets hugged at once (one under each arm). Victims may attempt a DC 18 Reflex or Fortitude Save to escape the devil’s grasp. Hamatulas also often use their powerful bear hug to capture prisoners, teleporting away with its victims.
Type 4 Devils
- Cornugon (Type 4 Devil): Init +7; Atk +14 barbed whip (2d6+6, Stun, Bleed); +14 Claws (1d4+6); +12 Bite (1d4+7); MV 30’; Fly 60’; Act 2d20; AC 21; SP Devil Traits, Regenerate 2 HP per round of combat, Aura of Fear, Cast Lightning Bolt (CL5), Pyromancer (CL4); Gate Barbazu (2d6), GAte Abishai (2d8); Gate Cornugons (1d3), Stunning Whip, Bleeding Whip; SV Fort +12, Ref +12, Will +12.
- Aminzu (Type 4 Devil): Init +4; Atk +12 Negative Energy Touch (2d4 vs Unarmored AC), +12 As Weapon (Varies); MV 15’; Flight 60’; Act 2d20, AC 21; HD 9d12; SP Devil Traits, Cast Forget (CL5), Cast Fireball (CL5), Imprisonment, Random Spells as Level 5 Wizard, Gate Abishai (2d10), Gate Erinyes (1d8); SV Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +16.
- Gelugon (Type 4 Devil): Init +7; Atk +16 Ice Pike (2d6+6 and Ice Stun), +14 Claw Rake (2d4+6), +14 Bite (2d4+6), +14 Tail Sting (3d4+6 Numbing Cold); MV 30’; Act 3d20; AC 23; HD 11d12+6; SP Devil Traits, Regenerate 2 HP per Round, Cold Aura, Stunning/Numbing Cold, Truesight 60’, Control Ice (CL5), Gate Osyluth (2d4), Gate Gelugons (1d2) Guardians of the Pit Fiends; SV Fort +14, Ref +8, Will +14.
- Aura of Fear: Cornugons generate an aura of fear. All creatures within 5’ of the Cornugon must make a DC 20 Will save or flee in terror for 1d6 rounds.
- Stunning Whip: Those successfully struck with the tip of the barbed whip must make a DC 20 Reflex Save or be stunned for 1d4 rounds. The Gelugon must choose whether to use the whips stunning or bleeding effect before it strikes.
- Bleeding Whip: Those successfully struck with the barbed whip must make a DC 20 Reflex Save or take an additional 1d4 damage, and continue to take 1d4 damage each round until healed.
- Imprisonment: Aminzu know the spells Paralysis and Binding, which they cast at a +8.
- Cold Terror Aura: Creatures within 10’ of the geulgon must make a DC 21 Will save or flee in terror for 1d6 rounds. Those who move within 5’ of the creature must make a DC 21 Fort save or take 2d6 damage from the crippling chill.
- Ice Stun: When hit by Ice Pike. The Target must make a DC 22 Fort Save or Act every other round for the next turn.
- Numbing Cold: When hit by a successful Tail Sting, the target must make a DC 22 Fort save or be stunned for 1d6 rounds.
- Guardians of the Pit Fiends: Ice Devils have a ¼ chance of being able to gate in a pit fiend to aid them when under threat.
Type 5 Devils
- Pit Fiend (Type 5 Devil): Init +8; Atk +18 Great Flaming Weapon (3d12, Conflagration), Atk +17 Wing Buffet (1d4, Wing Buffet), Atck +17 Claws (3d4+6), Atk +17 Bite (3d8+6, Pit Fiend Poison), Atck+18 Tail Grab (2d8+6, Tail Grab); MV 30’, Flying 60’; HD 13d12+6; AC 25; ACT 3d20; SP Devil Traits, Regenerate 3 HP per Round, Aura of Terror, Truesight 100’, Pyromancer (CL6-8), Cast Detect Magic (CL 6-8). Random Spells as Level 6-8 Wizard, Lords of Hell, Will of the Pit Fiends; SV Fort +18, Ref +18, Will +18.
- Conflagration: Those struck by the Great Flaming Weapon must make a DC 22 Reflex save or be set on fire.
- Wing Buffet: Can target all creatures in front of the Pit Fiend within 60’. On a successful hit, targets must make a DC 23 reflex save or be blown back 1d100 feet.
- Pit Fiend Poison: On a successful hit, the victim must make a DC 24 Fort save or die in 1d4 rounds.
- Aura of Terror: Pit Fiends constantly radiate an aura of hellish terror, All those within 30’ of the pit fiend must make a DC 24 Will save or flee for 1d10 rounds.
- Lords of Hell: All lesser devils obey this creature. This creature may automatically Gate in 3 Type 1 or 2 devils, or 2 Type 3 or 4 devils every round.
- Will of the Pit Fiends: Pit Fiends may cast the awesome level 6 spell “Wish” once per year.
Here is the download link for the PDF of these Devil stats:
I hope you all get some use out of these devilish monster stats! Do let me know what you think by commenting below. Be on the lookout for my adaptation of the demons of planescape, coming sometime this summer!
This has been a long time in the making, I actually wrote all of these out on paper nearly two years ago with the intent to post them to my old blog, but promptly lost the notebook. Fortunately while moving house I found my errant notebook and the statblocks within! As soon as I was settled in my new home I immediately cleaned up my notebook scribblings and put them up here.